The Bechdel test: Two named female characters have to have a conversation about something other than a man for the film to pass.  Question Who's Online | Find Members | Private Messages
Questions
Quizzes
Articles
My Journal
Forums
Answer Questions | Question Comments | My Questions | Favorites | +Add Question
LATEST
POPULAR PRIORITY RANDOM

All | Games | Funny | Entertainment | Quizzes | Weird | Tech | People | Arts/Lit | News | Science | Sports | Places | Misc

105,000 hits 2.3 (3 votes) Share Favorite | Flag 8 years ago by 314159

Does your favourite movie pass the Bechdel test?
The Bechdel test: Two named female characters have to have a conversation about something other than a man for the film to pass.


Put This Question on Your Page (MySpace, Livejournal, Blog, etc)
[Preview] EMBED CODE:


Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next (showing 126-150 of 227)

Bottom Last Post

8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 7:17:46 PM EST (GMT-5)
Well it sounds pretty sexist when you're accusing women of diminishing the intelligence of the English-speaking world, meanwhile seemingly ignoring the fact that other women who are not that specific writer with her specific fanbase have made great literary and intellectual contributions to our society.

The reaction wasn't knee-jerk. I took time to write out my post. If you think I misinterpreted you, that's one thing, but it wasn't a reactionary response at all. Your comment came across as sexist, I thought about it, and called you out on it. I was blunt but I wasn't thoughtless.

Seriously, if I was going to be reactionary and accuse you of sexism, I would have done it much earlier in this thread, don't you think?
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 7:19:54 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/27/13 - 7:05:55 PM BlackBird77 wrote:
Women are not a single, uniform, deterministic category. There are many kinds of women with many kinds of opinions and perspectives.
On Friday 12/27/13 - 7:13:33 PM Guilty_Spark wrote:
Gee, really? I didn't realise the Captain Obvious competition was back on.

Well, again, the way you articulated yourself ("thanks ladies for dumbing down the English-speaking world") suggested you were lumping women into one big category, whether you were doing it consciously or unconsciously.

People do this all the time. We all do it to some extent. I think it's even a little bit natural.

But that kind of thinking has no place in an intelligent conversation, where we should be precise and conscientious of how we're discussing human groups and interactions.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 7:28:30 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't think it's at all reasonable to think I was 'lumping in' women who hadn't bought or read the book with those who had in my accusation of dumbing down.

But if you want to think that and take offence to it that's your problem. I guess if you're looking to be offended, you'll find something to be offended by soon enough.

Oh, and don't try that consciously or unconconsciously crap either. That's just a cop out so you ca't possibly be wrong. I say you're misrepresenting what I meant, you say I meant it unconsciously instead of having the good grace to admit you were wrong.

Bad form.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 9:43:50 PM EST (GMT-5)
For the past few days you've been arguing that the industry shouldn't be obligated to portray women as strong characters or as strong leaders in films because most women don't do anything noteworthy with your lives. I've been courteous enough to debate you without calling you a sexist, which would have been the knee-jerk reaction to what you said. You make a seemingly blanket statement about women dumbing down the English-speaking world and I argue that's sexist, because it came off as insanely sexist. You think it should be obvious that you're not doing that but people do it all the time, so it's actually a reasonable possibility.

Furthermore, you have said a few times now that if women don't like these portrayals, they shouldn't support them. Again, whether you realize it or not, you seem to be lumping women into a single category. This is demonstrated by your very argument. (cont)
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 9:47:56 PM EST (GMT-5)
Obviously women who do not like these portrayals are not supporting the type of media that we're talking about. Women who are participating in it are either fine with these portrayals or are ignorant of their consequences.

So when you say "so why do women support it if they don't like it?" you're ignoring the fact that the women who are criticizing this issue are not usually the women who are participating.

I don't think my form has been bad here. Maybe what I said bothered you, but it doesn't mean I did anything wrong. I'm actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, if anything.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Friday 12/27/13 - 9:48:23 PM EST (GMT-5)
*with their lives
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 4:51:31 AM EST (GMT-5)
On Friday 12/27/13 - 9:47:56 PM BlackBird77 wrote:
So when you say "so why do women support it if they don't like it?" you're ignoring the fact that the women who are criticizing this issue are not usually the women who are participating.


So by that logic we should ignore them as a whining minority, since the majority of women seem more than happy to participate. Especially ignore them when they say sexist things about film x being offensive to women, lumping you all in together in one big category.

Of course, it does beg the question of how do they know? If, as you claim, they are not participating in these dreadful movies by going to see them, then what are they basing their criticism on?
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:21:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
I'm sorry, I didn't know you had conducted an in-depth survey.

Here's a fun game: can anyone tell me the last big case of the privileged class saying something along the lines of 'Oh, they're fine. They're happy in their position of disprivilege! I mean, look at them living in this system, not changing it! They MUST be cool with it.'
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:33:39 PM EST (GMT-5)
Oh God, here we go.

You can't understand, you're from group x. Enjoy your group x privilege much?

But please tell me more about your terrible life of disprivilege.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:34:53 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:21:53 PM SleepyJean wrote:
. They're happy in their position of disprivilege!


Please show me the disprivilege.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:42:25 PM EST (GMT-5)
This isn't (only) about me.

But you want personal? I have been told several times in academic circles that I was inferior because I'm female. Point-blank, to my face. And if they're willing to say that to my face, I don't have to be a genius to know what's going on behind my back.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:48:07 PM EST (GMT-5)
So nothing but an anecdote. Gotcha.

Sorry, I thought you were going to tell me you weren't allowed to vote, were legally paid less than I would be in the same job or were legally barred from certain professions that me and and my penis could waltz right into.

Again, tell me about my privileged life and how disadvantaged your white, middle class life is.

Oh, and you're the one who made this personal when you played the privilege card. How dare you?
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:54:19 PM EST (GMT-5)
I don't see how being dismissed and told I'm inferior is 'nothing'.

I'm not middle class. I was raised working class by a single immigrant mother (no financial support or care from my dad). I'm not strait, I'm not considered mentally healthy, and I'm not very physically attractive. I was recently fired under incredibly shifty grounds and replaced with a man.

I'm white and it's a huge advantage, but I don't know why you assume all those other things about me.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 12:56:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
Seriously though, what would you want? Voice recording? Video evidence?
I was told 'women just aren't as intelligent or capable as men'.
Direct quote.

8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:04:32 PM EST (GMT-5)
You understand that although that sounds terrible, it's anecdotal evidence.

You called me one of the privileged class. Justify that. Because I have a penis? Are women REALLY this insecure that they still think men have the automatic advantage of them, or is it just you that thinks this?
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:07:01 PM EST (GMT-5)
Please tell me you're trolling.

Just, jesus.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:09:55 PM EST (GMT-5)
You're the one who called me privileged. When asked to support that, you give me nothing but an unprovable anecdote.

Please tell me YOU'RE trolling, because you can't expect me to take these junior grade arguments seriously.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:11:45 PM EST (GMT-5)
You asked me for personal proofs. By definition those are anecdotal.

I ask you again, what sort of answer COULD I give you that wouldn't be anecdotal?
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:12:22 PM EST (GMT-5)
I can't deal with this right now.

You're just too sh*tty for me to spend time one.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:19:18 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:11:45 PM SleepyJean wrote:
You asked me for personal proofs. By definition those are anecdotal.


No, I asked you for proof that you were disprivileged.

You gave nothing but an unprovable anecdote.

I asked you for proof of my privilege.

You gave nothing but a couple of cheap ad homs.

Yeah, I'M the sh*tty one here.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 2:10:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
On Saturday 12/28/13 - 1:12:22 PM SleepyJean wrote:
I can't deal with this right now. You're just too sh*tty for me to spend time one.


That's pretty much GS's go to strategy. He'll be sh-tty, condescending and insufferable until you can't even be bothered to continue the discussion anymore at which point he can claim to be the winner of the debate.

It's kinda like sh-tting your pants to avoid getting eaten by a lion. It's undignified but surprisingly effective.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 2:20:59 PM EST (GMT-5)
I think so? I haven't seen Clueless in a couple of years.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 2:30:21 PM EST (GMT-5)
#16

Keeping playing the man instead of the ball griff. It's what I expect from you.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 2:58:13 PM EST (GMT-5)
Well you've already ignored my posts directed at you actually relevant to the discussion so why bother when I could just point out that you're an abrasive asshole who's only a small step above bluedaisy when it comes reasonable discussion partners.
8 yrs ago, 6 mos ago - Saturday 12/28/13 - 3:03:49 PM EST (GMT-5)
I ignore most of your posts.

There's a reason...

Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next (showing 126-150 of 227)



You need to be logged in to post a reply

New to YT? Create a Free Account ~ Have an Account? Log In

Top



10 Most Popular Questions Today
1 does anyone use this site anymore?

2 Do you live in a home that has been owned by your family for multiple generations?

3 Is it fair that this woman got away with purposefully miscarrying her two babies?

4 Do you prefer Tim Burton films over other productions?

5 What is the most times you`ve seen the same movie in a theatre: more or less than 5 times?

6 Does your favourite movie pass the Bechdel test?

7 When the aliens come to rescue us from the pole shift on December 21st, will they only take world leaders and their families?

8 Have you gotten your COVID vaccine?

9 If you had a genetic disease, would you reproduce?

10 Do you have a NalgeneĀ® bottle?

More Questions
 
Edit